Tuesday, July 26, 2011

New cabin sign

Spending gobs of time at my inlaws cabin I’m always finding someway to contribute to the upkeep. I feel it’s my way of letting them know that I love this place and want to keep it around.

The plaque was from the front face of the cabin it receives full sun and heat, with very little shade. The original one was so warped and brittle I decided to make a new one that was a little more updated.
I ended up laminating some redwood together and traced the original outline to the new body. I then began the sanding and routing part of the operation. The routing was done on my new Hitachi MV12VC router using an estate sale router bit set. I then painted the plaque with the color match from the original piece let dry and wait.

Now here’s the part that I enjoyed the most. I scoured the web for various fonts for the numbers I wanted something that had a western style. I eventually found just what i was looking for. Printing out the font on paper I then trimmed it to size and taped it carefully to the board. Once completing the numbers I use Deft spray lacquer on cardboard and brushed over the exposed redwood sealing in the natural beauty.

No comments:

Post a Comment